Immigration rules can change frequently so you should always check you have the most up to date information before you make a visa application. We recommend visiting for detailed information.
Our International Experience Advisers provide advice and support for students applying for entry clearance in their home country. Getting a Student Visa can be a stressful process. Our advisers can help by answering your questions and explaining the rules. Email us at if you would like help with your visa application.
You must apply for this visa from your home country via the UK Visas and Immigration website. You should also check for the full guidance notes.
All applications for visas that are more than six months long will also include an 'immigration health surcharge'. The cost of this is based on the length of the visa that you are applying for. Further information can be found here:

What you will need

  • CAS statement. You can get this either from your faculty office or Admissions department (if you are applying for a new course)
  • Are any previous qualifications listed on your CAS statement? If yes, provide the original certificates. These are the qualifications which Sheffield Hallam University has used to give you an offer for your course. If your CAS statement does not list any qualifications, you do not have to provide them
  • Bank statements for the previous 28 days. This must show you have kept enough money for your maintenance and balance of unpaid tuition fees every day for the last 28 days. You must make sure you show transactions over the 28-day period. This means you must make small transactions so that your balance can be seen on day 1 and day 28. You must show £9207 for your maintenance, plus the balance of any unpaid tuition fees. Please see for further information. (Students from Bangladesh, Cameroon, Ghana, India, Iran, Pakistan, Philippines and Sri Lanka: If you are not using a UK bank account, check that your bank is accepted by the UKVI.
  • If you have an official government sponsor, you will need to attach a sponsor letter. If you are fully sponsored for all living costs and tuition fees, then you only need your sponsor letter and you do not require bank statements. If you are only partially sponsored, you will need additional bank statements
  • If you are relying on your parents' funds you must include your parents' bank statements, your original birth certificate and a letter from your parents confirming you are their son/daughter and that they consent for their money to be used for your studies
  • Your passport and your biometric residence card, if you have been issued one
  • ATAS certificate - this is required if you are studying certain postgraduate or research Engineering courses - check with your faculty or Student Support Services if you are unsure. If required, apply online at If the completion date of any of the study is postponed or delayed for a period of more than 3 calendar months, or if there are any changes to the course contents (or the research proposal), the student must apply for a new ATAS certificate within 28 days.
  • TB certificate - migrants applying to enter the UK for more than 6 months from the countries listed here must show a valid medical certificate issued by an approved medical practitioner, confirming that they have undergone screening. The certificate will usually be valid for 6 months. If you are tested positive for TB, you will be referred for treatment. You will not be permitted to travel to the UK until you have been tested as being free of TB, including following successful treatment.
  • You won't require a TB certificate if you have been living and studying in the UK and are returning home for a short period to make your visa application
  • Other documents (e.g. photos) as specified by your Embassy/Visa Application Centre - please contact your Embassy to check what these are.
  • If you have dependants please refer to Applying for a student dependant visa in your home country


Credibility interviews
These interviews form part of the Student visa application process. Some students may be interviewed when submitting their application.
Please prepare for these interviews in advance so that you are confident in answering questions about your plans to study in the UK.
To help you with this, we have prepared a list of possible questions that you may be asked during the interview. Please note this is for guidance only and it is not an exhaustive list.
  • Why did you choose to study at Sheffield Hallam University?
  • What course are you studying?
  • Why did you choose this course?
  • How long is it?
  • How is your course relevant to your future plans?
  • What do you intend to do after finishing your course?
  • If you intend to return home to seek employment, which companies do you hope to apply to?
  • How are you funding your studies?
  • If you have taken out a bank loan to finance your studies, how do you intend to repay it?
  • Where do you intend to live while you are in the UK?
  • Have you already arranged accommodation?
  • If you have dependants travelling with you, what will they be doing while you are studying?
  • Have you organised schooling for your children?
  • Do you intend to work in the UK during your studies?
  • If so, do you know how many hours you would be permitted to work under Tier 4?
  • If you have ever studied in the UK or overseas before, where and what did you study?
  • Did you complete the course(s)? Did you leave the country before your visa expired?

If you have any questions or concerns about the interview, please email us at and we can agree a suitable time for a Zoom chat.

Comments (0)