These are the steps to getting your full disability support at SHU. If you need help at any point, please book a quick query appointment to speak to us.

1. Register with Disabled Student Support

If you didn't do this on your university application form you can register with Disabled Student Support via My Student Record at any point throughout your course.

2. Provide medical evidence

We support students through personalised Learning Contracts to share and agree with your tutors what adjustments you need to address barriers to your learning, e.g. extended deadlines, extra time, exam arrangements. The best way to provide medical evidence is to upload this to My Student Record.

If you do not already have medical evidence, but you do have a diagnosis, we recommend taking this form (DOCX, 36.1KB) to your GP. It provides evidence in a format accepted by the main funding bodies. Students with specific learning difficulties cannot use this form and will require a diagnostic assessment report from a suitably qualified professional.

3. Apply for Disabled Students' Allowances

Most UK students are eligible for Disabled Student Allowances and should apply as early as possible to get a full assessment of their support needs. If you can't apply or would like to speak to us about eligibility, book a quick query with us.

4. Book and attend a study needs assessment

If you have applied for Disabled Students' Allowances, your funding body will send you a letter asking you to book an assessment. We strongly recommend that you attend Sheffield Regional Assessment Centre, based at Sheffield Hallam University. If you are not eligible for Disabled Students' Allowances then a disability adviser will carry out your assessment. 

5. Receive your full support package

After your assessment you will be able to arrange your full support. Depending on your assessment this is likely to include;

  • Support workers
  • Equipment
  • Learning Contract



Comments (0)