Please attend an online quick query appointment with an adviser and they will book you an appointment to assess your eligibility to apply inside the UK. The appointment can be made at International Experience | Sheffield Hallam University (, or via Hallam Help.
Please also read the following information prior to your appointment.

You are only eligible to apply for dependants if:

  • You are government sponsored and your course is more than 6 months long OR
  • You are doing a postgraduate level course of 9 months or more at a Higher Education Institution



  • Partners – this means your husband, wife or civil partner. Civil partnership means you are a same sex couple who has registered your partnership to gain formal legal recognition of your relationship.
  • Your unmarried or same-sex partner. To be unmarried or same-sex partners, you need to have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage for a period of at least two years. You will be expected to provide evidence of this.
  • Your child or children. If they are applying for the dependant visa for the first time, they must be less than 18 years old. Both of the child’s parents must be in, or coming with the child to, the UK (although not with ‘visitor’ permission). The only exceptions to the requirement that both parents must be coming to the UK are when the child's other parent is dead, or if you have sole responsibility for the child's upbringing, or if there are other serious or compelling considerations that mean the child should be with you in the UK and you have made suitable arrangements for the child's care. If you are relying on any of these exceptions, it is important your child includes evidence of this with their application. This could include, for example, death certificates or divorce certificates. 



  • Birth in the UK does not automatically make a baby a British citizen. The baby needs to have at least one parent with British citizenship or settled status in the UK to be born British.
  • If your baby is born in the UK and is not a British citizen, it is quite lawful for him/her to remain in the UK without making an immigration application. However, the baby will need immigration permission to re-enter the UK after any period of travel abroad.
  • However, we do recommend that you apply for a visa for your baby within the first 3 months of birth, even if you do not intend to travel. This is due to the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) rule that came into effect in April 2015. If your baby does not have a visa which covers them for health insurance, you could face a very expensive hospital bill if your baby is ill and needs hospital treatment.
  • Having a visa which includes an IHS fee would mean your baby is entitled to free hospital treatment once the visa has been received.


Both parents must be present in the UK at the time of applying, unless there are exceptional circumstances why this is not possible – please speak to an International Experience Adviser if this is the case.
All dependants must pay the IHS fee which is £470 per year based on the length of your visa. Any additional time up to 6 months is charged at a further £235. 

How to make the application
Go to:, or for baby
Guidance notes are available from the website at :

The documents you will need to prepare include:

  • Passport
  • Marriage certificate (and official translation if not in English)
  • A copy of your student visa and CAS statement
  • A student status letter (you can request this from
  • Each dependant must show a bank statement in their name, or in the name of the Tier 4 visa holder for the previous 28 days. The required minimum balance must be kept every day throughout the 28-day period (see below for the required minimum balance).
  • Sponsor letter and/or bank statements (please read the requirements below)
  • Documents to show that you both live at the same address (i.e. utility bills, tenancy agreement, bank statements)


Babies born in the UK

  • Baby’s passport (or parent’s passport if baby does not have their own and is named in the parent’s passport)
  • Full birth certificate (including both parents’ names)
  • A copy of your student visa
  • A copy of your CAS statement
  • Sponsor letter and/or bank statements (please read the requirements below)


Maintenance amounts
Each dependant must show £680 per month for the duration of your visa, to a maximum of £6,120 (9 months). If you have travelled to the UK before your dependants, please ensure you are not double counting funds that you evidenced for your own visa application. For more information on this please refer to

Government sponsored or scholarship sponsored
If you are sponsored, then there may be a shortfall between the sponsorship you receive, and the amount of money your dependant must show, If so, you must show the additional amount of money in your own savings. This can either be in the Tier 4 student’s bank account, or the bank account of the dependant applying for the visa. This money must be held every day for 28 days and must not include the money received from the sponsor.
Here is an example of how much you will need to show:
This calculation is based on a family of 3 people (husband, wife, 1 child). You receive government sponsorship of £1,840 per month in total.
Calculation: £1,023 is the amount a student needs to show per month. £680 is the amount a dependant needs to show per month.
Sponsorship = £1,840
£1,840 – £1,023
= £817
£680 x 2
= £1,360
MINUS £817
= £543
X 9 (amount of months required to show maintenance for)
TOTAL = £4,887 in the bank for 28 days

Comments (0)