In order to be eligible for a Tier 4 General Student visa, you will need to have:

  • A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) (30 points)
  • Original supporting documents (e.g. degree certificate) as listed on your CAS
  • Evidence of your English language ability 
  • Check your CAS – if it lists either your IELTS certificate or SELT (Secure English Language Test) result then provide the original certificate. There are some exemptions to the need to show your English language ability, so if your CAS does not list your English qualification then you may not need to submit it.
  • Enough money to be able to claim 10 points in the points based system
  • You must show the balance of one year's tuition fees plus £9,135 for living expenses in Sheffield.
  • If your course is less than 9 months, you need to show the balance of your tuition fees plus £1,015 per month for your living expenses.
  • If you are self-funding you will need to prove you held this amount in your bank account every day for 28 days prior to making your visa application.
  • If you are officially sponsored for all your costs, you will only require an original sponsor letter instead of bank statements. An official financial sponsor includes Her Majesty's Government, the student's home government, the British Council, or any international organsation, international company, university or UK independent school.
  • It is possible to show your parents' bank statements instead of your own to meet the funding requirements. However you will also need to show your original birth certificate and a letter of consent from your parents. Please see for further information.
  • A valid passport
  • Some courses require an ATAS certificate – please see
  • Other documents (e.g. photos, payment) as specified by your Embassy or Visa Application Centre

If you have further questions you can email